It’s been nine weeks since the OH departed for Europe. (Tangent : writing that made feel a bit Sinead O’Connor-ish. You know the song I mean “It’s been 7 hours and 15 days…” ♪♫)
We have settled into a routine, and by keeping the weekend full of activities (mainly birthday things as both the Missy’s are August girls) time has passed quicker than I thought it would. But if I’m perfectly honest, it’s only been the last three weeks that we have hit our stride. I’m not sure if I attribute this to my inability to wallow too long, or that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Either way, things are pretty darn rosy at the moment.
Indeed, I am feeling so positive right now that I can admit that there are certain advantages of OH being overseas for work. So here’s a list:
- ironing and washing are down by a good 50%, maybe more for ironing. The ironing of business shirts may forever more be the responsibility of the person who wears them.
- sleeping. Firstly I can sprawl as much as I like. Secondly there is no need to worry about disturbing someone else’s sleep. I can toss, turn, snore, and read to my hearts content without it affecting a single soul.
- the Little Missy goes to bed at 6.15pm every night (no Daddy to wait up for) so is a much more amenable 4 year old.
- paying household bills for the first time in well over a decade. It’s not rocket science but it’s something that had fallen into OH’s job description.
- garden looks great as we now have a ‘gardener’. (I use the term ‘gardener’ as it sounds more Desperate Houswives-y than “mowing man”)
But naturally none of these positives outweighs the great big stonking NEGATIVE of him not being here……