Moving necessitates that someone in the house touches every object and makes a decision to keep or to cull. In this house the someone is me.
So far, I am up to 5 carboot loads to the Op Shop/Charity Bin and one of toys to the Little Missy’s pre-school. There is room in the cupboards for the first time in years but that’s probably because there’s boxes for storage stacked in the formal lounge room.
I’ve some across some great crap, so thought it only fair that I share some of it:
- every pay slip my husband has ever had;
- my name badge from when I worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken, this was well before it became KFC;
- a broderie anglaise tissue box cover, cos tissue boxes are soooo unsightly;
- a stack of doilies. I will keep these for when we move into a retirement village, but will need to purchase a plastic hall runner to get the full ‘Nanna’ effect.;
- a trillion plastic bags, pegs and pieces of cardboard;
- a box full of cassette tapes, most of them dubbed. Some quality artists, too – Freaked Out Flower Children (Sophie Lee!), Betty Boo, Sinita, Extreme all spring to mind;
- a hand written list of my strengths and weaknesses that I must have written in preparation for a job interview back when I had a job;
- a wooden nut-cracker my husband received as a wedding present. It was clearly regifted and is in the shape of a naked woman and the nuts are cracked between her legs. Classy.
And there are also the things you stumble across that you had *almost* forgotten that you had, but are very glad that you do. Like the Mothers Day, birthday and ‘just because’ cards the Missies have made over the years. I don’t keep every piece of artwork they produce as they are rather prolific artistes, but I do find it difficult to part with anything that has “I love you, Mum!” written on it.
I also came across a duck-egg blue bag. With duck-egg blue boxes inside. With Tiffany & Co. photo frames inside that my husband received from his work in recognition of putting in 10 years hard graft. Why, oh why, were these pushed to the back of the linen press?